One of the main challenges with running a business, is having to be both the creator and the evaluator.
It can be hard, because as the originator of an idea, you are automatically on the inside of the process – which means that the outside perspective is naturally missing.
There is a way to remedy that, and it’s spelled accountability partner.
An accountability partner is a person who is by your side when you need them. They help you bounce ideas and contribute with that outside perspective.
I have had a few different accountability partners over the years, and I have found them to be a fantastic help! I have also discovered some tricks to make that partnership work.
Here are my 5 best tips for making the most of your accountability partnership:
- Choose the right person. You want someone who complements your skills, not matches them.
- Be clear on what you need. Do you want feedback, someone who listens – or something else?
- Set boundaries. Make sure that you agree on the level of the commitment.
- Schedule your meetings ahead. Make it happen by scheduling your meetings for the upcoming 6 months.
- Communicate constructively. Clarity and empathy are important ingredients. Courage is too.
A good accountability partner will become a business buddy who has your back. And that is a gift that is as fun as it is invaluable.
PS. Do you have someone in mind but feel afraid to ask them? You don’t need to be. Honestly. Most people love to help and feel honored to be asked. If you still feel uncomfortable, tell them! Openness is the foundation of any healthy relationship – so why not start from the very beginning?
PS2. The picture shows me and one of my all-time favorite accountability partners, a person who is as fun as she is wise: my sister!